Dr. Chris Marble
Associate Professor of Ornamental & Landscape Weed Management
Dr. Chris Marble is an associate professor of ornamental and landscape weed management in the Department of Environmental Horticulture at the University of Florida. Marble is a passionate horticulturalist and educator, studying the growth and management of weeds and invasive plant species in landscapes and ornamental plant production. Marble’s research program aims to develop new methods of weed control using an integrated approach combining both chemical and non-chemical treatments.
As an instructor for Pest Management University, Marble focuses on teaching pest control professionals about the importance of identifying weed species before applying treatment. Marble works with extension faculty and staff, growers, landscapers, homeowners, and other stakeholders to deliver the latest information on weed pests and provide the most effective, economical, and environmentally friendly methods of weed control in and around ornamental plants.
- Khamare, Y., C. Marble, and A. Chandler. 2020. Eclipta prostrata interference in container-grown ornamentals with subdressed fertilizer. Weed Science. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/wsc.2020.44.
- Khamare, Y., C. Marble, N.S. Boyd, and S.T. Steed. 2020. Pre- and postemergence control of Praxelis clematidea: An emerging weed in Florida nurseries. Weed Technology. https://doi.org/10.1017/wet.2020.53.
- Berthold, D.E., A. Elazar, F. Lefler, C. Marble, H.D. Laughinghouse. 2020. Control of algal growth on greenhouse surfaces using commercial algaecides. Scientia Agricola. https://doi.org/10.1590/1678-992x-2018-0292.
- Campbell, S.M., J. Pearson, and S.C. Marble. 2020. Substrate type and temperature on germination parameters of butterfly pea. HortTechnology 30: 398-403. https://doi.org/10.21273/HORTTECH04583-20.
- Saha, D., C. Marble, N. Torre, and A. Chandler. 2019. Fertilizer placement affects growth and reproduction of three common weed species in pine bark-based soilless nursery substrates. Weed Science 67:682-688. https://doi.org/10.1017/wsc.2019.49.
- Marble, S.C., S. Steed, D. Saha, and Y. Khamare. 2019. On-farm evaluations of wood-derived, waste paper, and plastic mulch materials for weed control in Florida container nurseries. HortTechnology 29:866-873. https://doi.org/10.21273/HORTTECH04437-19.
Popular EDIS Publications
- Postemergent Herbicides for Use in Ornamentals: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/wg059
- Florida Homeowner Herbicide Guide: Considerations, Applications and Selection: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep575
- Improving Weed COntrol in Landscape Planting Beds: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep523
- Biology and Management of Oxalis (Oxalis stricta) in Ornamental Crop Production: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep514
- Biology and Management of Goosegrass (Eleusine indica (L.) Gaertn.) in Ornamental Plant Production: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep538
- Butterfly Pea (Clitoria ternatea) Flower Extract (BPFE) and Its Use as a pH-Dependent Natural Colorant
Awards & Recognition
- International IPM Symposium Team Award of Recognition - 2018
- Distinguished Team Award, Epsilon Sigma Phi-Alpha Delta Chapter – 2018
- 2019-2022 University of Florida/IFAS Term Professorship
- 2019 Extension Professionals Association of Florida Most Outstanding State Specialist
- University of Florida/IFAS Extension Entrepreneurial Team Award
Ph.D., Horticulture, Auburn University
M.S., Horticulture, Auburn University
B.S., Horticulture, Auburn University