Mid-Florida Research & Education Center
Mid-Florida Research & Education Center
Chris Marble, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor — Ornamental & Landscape Weed Management
My research focuses on the biology and management of weeds and invasive plant species in ornamental crop production and in landscapes. The primary goal of my research program is to improve upon current weed control practices and develop new methods of weed control using an integrated approach that combines both chemical and non-chemical management strategies.
My extension program involves working with extension faculty and staff, growers, landscapers, homeowners, and other stakeholders to deliver the latest information on weed pests and provide the most effective, economical, and environmentally friendly methods of weed control in and around ornamental plants.
Chris Marble, Ph.D.
2725 S. Binion Road
Apopka, FL 32703-8504
- Doctor of Philosophy - Horticulture, Auburn University; Auburn, AL, May 2013
- Master of Science - Horticulture, Auburn University; Auburn AL, December 2009
- Bachelor of Science - Horticulture, Auburn University; Auburn, AL, May 2007
- Fulcher, A.F., A.V. LeBude, S.A. White, M. Chappell, C. Marble, J.H. Chong, W. Dunwell, S. Frank, S. Hale, J. Neal, A. Windham, W. Klingeman, G. Knox, J. Derr, J. Williams-Woodward, S.K. Braman, A. Dale, F. Baysal-Gurel, J. Del Castillo-Munera, F. Peduto Hand, C. Swett, N. Gauthier, and E. Vafaie. 2017 Working group synergy part 1: Developing a successful, sustainable working group. HortTech. 27:759-764.
- Marble, S.C. and T. West. 2017. Advancing technology adoption and achieving extension impact: A working group success story. HortTech. 27:757-758.
- Stewart, C., C. Marble, B. Pearson, and C. Wilson. 2017. Impact of container-nursery production practices on weed growth. HortScience 52:1593-1600.
- Saha, D., C. Marble, and A. Chandler. 2017. Pre- and postemergence control of Pilea microphylla (artillery weed). WeedTech. 31:574-581.
- Marble, S.C., A.K. Koeser, and G. Hasing. 2017. Annual cost and efficacy of common landscape weed control techniques. HortTech. 27:199-211.
- Marble, S.C, Fulcher, and R. Karel. 2016. Advantages and disadvantages of asynchronous online extension programming for delivering master producer content. HorTech. 26:584-587.
- Marble, S.C., A. Fulcher, and R. Karel. 2016. Developing an asynchronous online extension program for Tennessee nursery producers. HortTech. 26:575-583.
- Marble, S.C., A. Prior, G.B. Runion, H.A. Torbert, C.H. Gilliam, G.B. Fain, J.L. Sibley, and T.R. Knight. 2016. Species and media effects on soil carbon dynamics in the landscape. Scientific Reports. 6:25210 doi:10.1038/srep25210.
- Marble, S.C., A. Chandler, and M. Archer. 2016. Effect of indaziflam formulation, timing, and rate on early postemergence control of Oxalis stricta WeedTech. 30:701-707.
- Edwards, L.E.g, C. Marble, A.M. Murphy, and G.H. Gilliam. 2015. Evaluation of indaziflam for greenhouse use. J. Environ. Hort. 33:160-165.
- Marble, S.C.,K. Koeser, and G. Hasing. 2015. A review of weed control practices in landscape planting beds: Part 1 – Non-chemical methods. HortScience. 50:851-856.
- Marble, S.C., A.K. Koeser, and G. Hasing. 2015. A review of weed control practices in landscape planting beds: Part 2 – Chemical methods. HortScience. 50:857-862.
- Marble, S.C. Herbicide and mulch interactions: a review of the literature and implications for the landscape maintenance industry. WeedTech. 29:341-349.
- Marble, S.C., A. Prior, G.B. Runion, and H.A. Torbert. 2015. Control of yellow and purple nutsedge in elevated CO2 environments with glyphosate and halosulfuron. Front. Plant Sci. doi:10.3389/fpls.2015.00001.
Recent Proceedings Publications
- Saha, D., C. Marble, N.S. Boyd, and S. Steed. 2017. Impacts of preemergence herbicide formulation on cost and weed control efficacy for container nursery crop producers. Proc. Intl. Plant Prop. Soc. (In press).
- Marble, S.C. and J.M. Pickens. 2016. Who wants to be a researcher? How to get meaningful results from on-farm research trials. Acta Hortic. 1140:387-392. https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2016.1140.88.
- Marble, S.C.,K. Koeser, G. Hasing, and D. McClean. 2015. Cost and effectiveness of common weed control techniques in Florida landscapes. Proc. South. Nur. Assoc. Res. Conf. 60:268-273.
- Marble, S.C. and H. Gilliam. 2013. Evaluation of Indaziflam G for preemergence weed control in ornamental landscape beds. Proc. South. Nurs. Assn. Res. Conf. 58:339-343.
- Edwards, L.E., H. Gilliam, and S.C. Marble. 2013. Can Indaziflam Be Used In Greenhouse Production of Annuals? Proc. South. Nurs. Assn. Res. Conf. 58:309-313.
- Marble, S.C., A. Prior, G.B. Runion, H.A. Torbert, C.H. Gilliam, G.B. Fain, J.L. Sibley, and P.R. Knight. 2012. Trace gas emissions from nursery crop production using different fertilization methods. Proc. Intl. Plant Prop. Soc. South. Reg. 62:401-406.
- Murphy, A.M., H. Gilliam, G.B. Fain, H.A. Torbert, T.V. Gallagher, J.L. Sibley, and S.C. Marble. 2012. Alternative substrates in production of trees in 25-gallon containers. Proc. South. Nurs. Assn. Res. Conf. 57:55-59.
- Biology and management of American black nightshade (Solanum americanum P. Mill.) in tomato, pepper, cucurbit, and strawberry. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1176.
- Biology and management of dodder (Cuscuta spp.) in ornamentals. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/EP/EP55600.pdf.
- Biology and management of eclipta (Eclipta prostrata) in ornamental plant production. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep512.
- Biology and management of goosegrass (Eleusine indica L.) in tomato, pepper, cucurbits, and strawberry. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/HS/HS117800.pdf.
- Biology and management of graceful sandmat (Chamaesyce hypericifolia) in ornamental plant production. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep522.
- Biology and management of hairy bittercress (Cardamine hirsuta) in ornamental plant production. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/EP/EP51100.pdf.
- Biology and management of long-stalked phyllanthus (Phyllanthus tenellus) in ornamental plant production. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep522.
- Biology and management of liverwort (Marchantia polymorpha) in ornamental crop production. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep542.
- Biology and management of mulberry weed (Fatoua villosa) in ornamental plant production. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep517.
- Biology and management of nutsedge in ornamental crop production (In review).
- Biology and management of oxalis (Oxalis stricta) in ornamental plant production. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep514.
- Biology and management of Pilea microphylla (Artilleryweed) in ornamental crop production. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep535.
- Biology and management of ragweed parthenium (Parthenium hysterophorous L.) in ornamental crop production. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep531.
- Biology and management of thickhead (Crassocephalum crepidiodes) in ornamental crop production. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep534.
- Improving weed control in landscape planting beds. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep523.
- Herbicidas postemergentes para eso en ornamentals. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep533.
- Key plant, key pests: Crapemyrtle. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/EP/EP56000.pdf
- Metsulfuron methyl potentially damaging landscape ornaments when applied to turf. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fr400.
- Natural area weeds: skunkvine (Paederia foetida). http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/wg208.
- Postemergent herbicides for use in ornamentals. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/wg059.
- Weed control in greenhouses and other enclosed structures. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep528.
Awards & Recognition
- Distinguished Dissertation Award, Biological and Life Sciences, Auburn University - 2013
- Graduate School Graduation Marshal, Auburn University - 2013
- The Most Outstanding Graduate Student Award, Auburn University - 2012
- Top Ten Doctoral Student, Auburn University - 2012
- Alabama Nursery and Landscape Association Lee Howell Scholarship Award - 2012
- Alabama Nursery and Landscape Association Ben Harwell Scholarship Award - 2011
- International Plant Propagator’s Society Graduate Student Research Competition - Top Six Selection and Travel Grant Recipient - 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- Southern Nursery Association Graduate Research Competition - 3rd Place - 2009
- International Plant Propagator’s Society Graduate Research Competition - 2nd Place - 2008
- Gamma Sigma Delta Agriculture Honor Society - 2008
- Delta Epsilon Iota Academic Honor Society - 2007
- cum laude - B.S. Horticulture, Auburn University – 2007
- Dean’s List - Auburn University, College of Agriculture - 2004, 2006