Dr. Liz Felter
Regional Specialized Agent, Central District, Food Systems and Ornamental Horticulture
Dr. Liz Felter is a regional specialized agent (RSA) for UF/IFAS Extension, working and collaborating at the interface of Central Florida food systems and ornamental horticulture while serving Flagler, Hernando, Lake, Marion, Orange, Osceola, Putnam, Seminole, St. Johns, Sumter, and Volusia counties. A horticulturalist and communicator, Felter has a passion for building collaboration networks between those who produce food and those who consume it. As an RSA, Felter develops, plans, organizes, implements, and teaches educational programs that focus on food systems and ornamental plant production in Central Florida.
Due to her extensive knowledge of plant production, Felter has developed one of the most preeminent Integrated Pest Management courses in the country. The program, which hosts nurserymen and women from around the country, teaches the fundamentals with an emphasis on scouting techniques to identify and prevent pest infestations before they become widespread. The course is co-taught with entomologists, plant pathologists, physiologists and weed scientists to cover a broad range of pest problems common in the horticultural industry. Before her career at the University of Florida, Felter worked as the landscape supervisor at the Marriot World Center, where she established the first in-house grounds maintenance department in all of corporate Marriott. While there, she collaborated to develop an integrated pest management program that revolutionized pest management in the interior landscape industry.
- Adopting a Florida-Friendly Landscape: Steps for Converting a Typical Development Landscape to a Florida-Friendly Landscape: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep396
- Guidelines for Operation and Usage of County Kitchens in the State of Florida: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy1469
- How to Establish Urban Agriculture Ordinances: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1327
- Potential of Collected Stormwater and Irrigation Runoff for Foliage and Bedding Plant Production: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep116
- Key Plant, Key Pests: Holly: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep566
Ph.D., Agricultural Education and Communication, University of Florida
M.S., Agricultural and Extension Education, University of Florida
B.S., Horticultural and Agricultural Communications, The Ohio State University