Hayk Khachatryan, Ph.D.
Associate Professor — Economics
Hayk Khachatryan is an associate professor in the Food and Resource Economics Department and Mid-Florida Research and Education Center. His research interests include consumer behavior, experimental economics, pro-environmental behavior, temporal preferences, and urban and environmental policy.
Recent empirical work estimates the effects of policies and regulation on consumer behavior, such as sustainable production labeling or economic incentives for water conservation in the urban environment. Other projects integrate stated preferences and visual attention data to investigate shopper behavior and effectiveness of point-of-sale advertising and promotions.
He has published in the economics, agricultural economics, and social psychology journals, including Applied Economics, Journal of Environmental Psychology, Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, and Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics. His outreach work focuses on sustainable developments in the environmental horticulture industry and impacts of urban and environmental policies in Florida.
- Learn about Khachatryan's recent promotion to associate professor
Hayk Khachatryan, Ph.D.
2725 S. Binion Road
Apopka, FL 32703-8504
- Ph.D., Washington State University, 2010
- M.A., Washington State University, 2007
- B.S., Armenian State Agrarian University, 2003
Recent Grant Projects
Protecting Pollinators with Economically Feasible and Environmentally Sound Ornamental Horticulture, Funding Agency: USDA NIFA Specialty Crop Research Initiative (2016-2021)
Identifying the Best In-store and Trade Show Displays and Promotions for Green Industry Stakeholders, Funding Agency: National Horticulture Foundation (2017-2018)
Economic Impacts of the Florida Environmental Horticulture Industry, Funding Agency: Florida Nursery, Growers and Landscape Association (2015-2016)
Promoting Florida-Grown Ornamental Plant Sales through Smart Labels and Targeted Advertising Strategies, Funding Agency: USDA Specialty Crop Block Grant Program (2014-2016)
Improving Yield and Profit of Greenhouse Production of Citrus Trees for Out‐planting, Funding Agency: USDA Specialty Crop Block Grant Program (2014-2016)
Investigation of Economic Impacts of Florida’s Highway Beautification Program, Funding Agency: Florida Department of Transportation (2013-2014)
Effects of Economic Incentives and Adoption of Smart Irrigation Technologies and Alternative Residential Landscapes in Florida, Funding Agency: Center for Landscape Conservation and Ecology, University of Florida (2013-2018)
University and College Level
- Senator, Faculty Senate, University of Florida, 2013-2016.
- Member, Faculty Assembly, University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, 2015-2018.
- Member, Faculty Assembly, University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, 2012-2015.
- Member, Smith-Lever Act 100th Anniversary Task Force, 2013-2014.
- Member, Search and Screen Committee, 2016 (UF-IFAS Food and Resource Economics Department – Assistant Professor in Economic Impact Analysis/Regional Science position).
- Member, Search and Screen Committee, 2015-16 (UF-IFAS Mid-Florida Research and Education Center Director position).
- Member, Review Committee, 2014 Awards of Excellence for Graduate Research, Food and Resource Economics Department, University of Florida.
- Member, Search and Screen Committee, 2014 (UF-IFAS Mid-Florida Research and Education Center - Center Director position).
- Member, Search and Screen Committee, 2014 (UF-IFAS Mid-Florida Research and Education Center - Assistant Professor position).
- Member, 2013 Best Doctoral Dissertation Award Selection Committee, Food and Resource Economics Department
- Member, Search and Screen Committee, 2013 (Assistant Professor position – Ornamental and Landscape Invasive Weed Management, UF-IFAS, University of Florida)
- Member, Greenhouse Production Advisory Committee, Orange County Extension (2011-present)
- Member, MREC Research Field Day Organizational Committee (2011 – present)
Academic Associations Service
- Founding Member, The Agricultural and Applied Economics Association’s (AAEA) Experimental Economics Section, 2015.
- Founding Member, The Agricultural and Applied Economics Association’s (AAEA) Specialty Crop Economics Section, 2016.
Honors and Awards
University of Florida Term Professorship Award, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Florida, 2017
Best Paper Award, Innovation Category, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association, Aarhus, Denmark, 2016.
Superior Service Award from USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service for the USDA/Department of Transportation Study of Rural Transportation Issues project, 2012.
Washington State University Research Assistant of the Year - Excellence Award, Pullman, Washington, 2010.
Best Paper Award Runner Up, Canadian Transportation Research Forum, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada, 2008.
Agricultural and Rural Transportation Paper, Second Award, Transportation Research Forum, Fort Worth, Texas, 2008.